The Center-Based Program Faculty Instructor is a staff position that supports the program team through leadership in instruction, organization and implementation of high-quality programs to all participants.
Center- Based Facilitator responsibilities include but are not limited to facilitating and program managing onsite, and offsite programs for youth, adults and community members. Performing daily and monthly site inspections and repairs under the supervision of the APD of Center Based Programs. Assisting the Community Outreach Coordinator and APD of Center-Based Programs in planning and implementing the programmatic aspects of Discovery Days. Assisting APD of Center Based Programs in program planning, data entry and admissions.
Watershed focused responsibilities include assisting the Alumni and Scholarship Manager and Community Outreach Coordinator in planning and implementing watershed education for onsite service projects and Discovery Days, co-instructing specialized watershed expeditions, ie. Environmental Service Leaders, YLC, Community, and Circuit Trail Expeditions. Attending and representing POBS at Watershed Alliance and Circuit Trail Coalition meetings and events. Provide watershed curriculum sessions for specific insight programs, identified by APD of Education & Outreach.
Provide logistical support and other duties as assigned by APD for Center-Based Programs.
Understanding of and commitment to the Outward Bound philosophy and curriculum are keys to success for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model a strong and positive leadership role in support of the highest level of program quality for POBS.
- Serve as a consistent Lead Facilitator for day programs; serving youth, adults and community members onsite at the Discovery Center, including ATC and Rock Wall and offsite at Wigard Ave.
- Work with the POBS administration and program team to ensure high quality staff development and training, logistics support, day program admissions support, program facilitation, watershed education and other areas as necessary.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help maintain and build a positive POBS community.
- Plan and instruct Leave No Trace Awareness workshops for community members and staff upon completion of LNT Master Educator certification.
- Assist in planning and delivery of facilitation and technical skills training as needed.
- Attend all facilitation trainings and technical skills trainings for both challenge courses and the Discovery Center Rock Wall.
- Assist APD in day program enrollment, admissions, and database quality assurance.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Provide school briefings with partner schools and organizations as may be necessary to ensure high quality programs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Current POBS Lead Facilitator or 2 years of outside facilitation experience required
- Able to comfortably work at heights of 30- 40 ft.
- Demonstrates a drive to work with participants of all ages
- Strong organizational skills with coordinating large programs
- Ability to work in a team environment and support POBS philosophy and mission
- Must be a strong mentor, able to develop new staff
- Strong and effective communicator, both written and oral
- Experience with Salesforce Database preferred but not required
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Google Suite
- Self-starter, strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must work well in a team environment and excel under pressure
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2 years of facilitation experience in the outdoor education/experiential field
- Minimum Outward Bound Lead Facilitator or 2 years facilitation experience with related certifications
- Current WFR certified
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- 10 Month commitment, February to December, with salary compensation ranging from $19,000- $24,000
- Full participation in POBS’ group medical and dental insurance plans.
- Eligible to contribute to the POBS 401(k) plan with employer match after 1 year of POBS service and 1,000 hours
- 10 paid staff development and training days
- Leave No Trace Master Educator Course
- Participation in Outward Bound staff expeditions nationwide