Organization: Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS)’s mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS – serving PA, NJ and northern DE – is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS annual engages more than 5,000 participants (youth and adults) in experiential single and multi-day programs that inspire character development, leadership and community service. In 2015, we completed a $17M capital campaign to build The Discovery Center in partnership with the National Audubon Society. With this new home on the horizon, we are facing an exciting new chapter in organizational evolution. POBS seeks to find an enthusiastic, committed and energizing Advancement Director to join our dynamic team and become a meaningful contributor to this evolution.
The Advancement Director will report directly to the Executive Director and will serve as a key member of the leadership team. This individual will be responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating all fundraising and marketing activities including the development of supporting staff. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to increase POBS’ visibility, impact, and financial resources.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in creating and executing against an annual fundraising and marketing plans, comfort with making “the ask,” the executive presence to work closely with the board, donors and corporate leaders, leadership skills to manage a small team (2 people) and a passion for youth development, experiential education, adventure and the outdoors. S/he will expand and diversify POBS’ foundation, corporate and individual donor base/pipeline and work closely with the finance and program team members to secure funding for current programs and new initiatives.
The Director will have primary responsibility for developing a marketing and fundraising team capable of achieving a $2.5MM annual goal. It is expected that the visibility and funds raised by POBS will increase each year as the Advancement Director systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall market reach and fundraising capacity.
- Direct and manage all major fundraising and marketing initiatives and events
- Collaborate with the ED to develop and implement POBS’ short-term and long-range financial and strategic plans
- Oversee the daily operations of the Development/Marketing team to assure optimal performance in support of POBS, and, actively work with the POBS Leadership Team to develop and implement a comprehensive, integrated annual revenue strategy to include program tuition sales, corporate, foundation, government, major gifts and individual funding support
- Work with the Marketing and Social Media Manager and POBS board to implement the POBS Marketing Plan and develop strategies for expanding POBS presence within the PA-NJ-DE market region
- Monitor and report regularly to the ED and the board on the progress of annual and long-range fundraising and marketing plans and programs; manage restricted and unrestricted revenues for POBS annual budget
At least 5-8 years of proven experience and knowledge in the following:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the Development/Fundraising arena, including responsibility for setting strategic direction for fundraising
- Demonstrated success in organizing and completing major gifts and capital campaigns
- Familiarity with private foundation research, cultivation, program design, and grant writing and demonstrated success securing institutional support
- Demonstrated skill in donor communications, including direct mail, newsletters, collateral, and Internet
- Demonstrated success securing corporate support, including sponsorships and EITC funding
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in budgeting, business plan development, report analysis, and performance evaluation
- Demonstrated expertise in oral and written communication
- Demonstrated facility with collaboration and team building
- Technical and analytical skills for work with donor and marketplace data systems – knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Solve problems creatively; thinking conceptually with strong future orientation
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Uphold values and standards consistent with the mission of POBS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision (POBS contributes seventy percent of total monthly premium)
- Eligibility to participate in the 401K with match available after one year
- Opportunity to participate in multi-day Outward Bound course
Submit resume and cover letter application, along with any supporting materials, to:
HR & Finance Manager
Philadelphia Outward Bound School
3250 West Sedgeley Drive Philadelphia, PA 19130
215.232.9130 ext. 8935
Email: [email protected]
Please apply on or before February 15, 2017.
Outward Bound and all of their chapter schools are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid program or other administered programs.