Summer Expedition Internship
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) strengthens and empowers individuals to effect positive change in their communities. POBS Instructors design and lead customized backpacking, canoeing, and rock climbing expeditions that help both youth and adults realize their true potential through challenge and discovery.
The Expedition Internship is a 2.5-month-long training program designed for individuals who are interested in and may have experience in the outdoor industry and/or education field. Summer is our busiest, most dynamic season; candidates who are excited to jump into in-field training, logistics, and expedition support are encouraged to apply!
The Expedition Internship includes:
- 7-day training expedition, including introduction to Outward Bound history and philosophy, technical skills, and curriculum
- Logistics: vehicle shuttles, in-field gear and food resupply, rock climbing facilitation, evacuation support, pre- and post-expedition support, gear repair and maintenance, base site projects, etc.
- Backpacking, canoeing, top-rope rock climbing
- At least one opportunity to participate in backpacking and/or canoeing expedition as a “third Instructor”
- Exposure to POBS Insight (daylong teambuilding) programming, with opportunities to work alongside experienced Insight Facilitators
Expedition Interns can anticipate a dynamic, varied schedule that requires some flexibility! The general rule of thumb is five days on, two days off. Days on are often spent in-field as logistics support or on expedition.
Upon successful completion of the Expedition Internship, individuals may promote to Assistant Instructor and co-lead wilderness expeditions in the Fall.
DATES & DEADLINES
Expedition Internship: June 4 – August 13, 2018
Application deadline: April 13, 2018
Our hiring season begins in December and we take rolling applications throughout the year for our seasonal apprenticeships/internships. We hire for our internships a season in advance. Please fill out our online application and indicate the position for which you wish to apply.
- Participate in staff training as appropriate
- Practice clear, effective and timely communication and feedback with supervisors, instructors, and other staff members
- Encourage teamwork, cooperation, and individual effort
- Maintain an appropriate appearance, a positive attitude, and professional demeanor
- Assist with field evacuations, student supervision, and other various program tasks as needed
- Assist with logistical functions such as food preparation, course transports, equipment resupply, gear repair, and cleaning
- Perform base site tasks as assigned, such as building and maintenance of program facilities, sites, and equipment
- Assist with administrative functions such as development of marketing materials, school briefings, event planning, and data entry
- Successfully plan and execute an agreed-upon “legacy project”
- Adhere to all local operating procedures, safety policies. and emergency procedures outlined in the staff handbook
- Initiate, seek out, and commit to professional development through both trainings and additional work experience
- Other duties as assigned
- Basic knowledge of the mission of Outward Bound
- Demonstrate multi-cultural competence and sensitivity
- Demonstrate sustained ability to work with underserved populations
- Background in Education, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, Youth Development, Non-Profit Management or other related discipline
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Creative and flexible
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess up-to-date and valid driver’s license and have at least three years driving experience
- Must procure and pass Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History, Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Record Screening
- On feet most days, sometimes for long hours (e.g. early morning departure to late night return)
- Able to carry, lift, and move a minimum of 50 pounds
- Exposure to Outward Bound curriculum and facilitation training
- Exposure to Outward Bound technical training
- Room and board, including food staples (we can and do accommodate any dietary restrictions!)
- $300/month stipend
- Professional development
- 10-20 formal opportunities per contract year that promote technical and non-technical skill mastery