Summer Insight Internship
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) empowers individuals to effect positive change in their communities. POBS facilitators design customized programs that help both youth and adults realize their true potential through challenge and discovery.
POBS Insight programs are daylong teambuilding programs held at our challenge course. Insight programs are designed to inspire communication, conflict resolution, confidence, and fun!
The Insight Internship is a 2.5-month training program recommended for any individual interested in developing the skills toward becoming a facilitator with POBS and/or gaining exposure to the outdoor industry. Insight Interns gain hands-on experience and extensive training, including the following:
- 7-day training expedition at the start of the Internship, including introduction to Outward Bound history and philosophy, technical skills, and curriculum
- Presentation of games, activities, and initiatives
- Student management, safety and risk management, and conflict resolution
- Facilitation skills: planning, framing, presenting, debriefing
- Technical skills: set up, management, and break down of high ropes elements, rescues
- Exposure to POBS expedition programming, with the option to participate in an expedition as a “third Instructor”
Insight Interns can anticipate a general schedule of five days on, two days off (aside from the training expedition at the start of the Internship). Days off are typically Saturday and Sunday. The hours are typically 7:45 am to 3:30 pm.
Insight Interns gain the skills and expertise necessary to independently facilitate a successful day program, including high ropes elements.
Individuals who successfully complete the Insight Internship are likely to promote to Insight Facilitator and lead Insight programs in the fall.
Dates and Deadlines
Insight Internship: June 4 – August 13, 2018
Application deadline: April 13, 2018
Our hiring season begins in December and we take rolling applications throughout the year for our seasonal apprenticeships/internships. We hire a season in advance. Please fill out our online application and indicate the position for which you wish to apply.
- Participate in staff training
- Practice clear, effective, and timely communication and feedback with their supervisors, instructors, and other staff members
- Encourage teamwork, cooperation, and individual effort
- Maintain an appropriate appearance, a positive attitude, and professional demeanor
- Perform base site tasks as assigned, such as building and maintenance of program facilities, sites and equipment
- Assist with administrative functions such as development of marketing materials, school briefings, event planning, and data entry
- Successfully plan and execute an agreed-upon “legacy project”
- Adhere to all local operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency procedures outlined in the staff handbook
- Take on personal ownership to initiate, seek out, and commit to professional development through both trainings and additional work experience
- Other duties as assigned
- Basic knowledge of the mission of Outward Bound
- Demonstrate multi-cultural competence and sensitivity
- Demonstrate sustained ability to work with underserved populations
- Background in Education, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, Youth Development, Non-Profit Management or other related discipline
- Strong communication skills
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Creative and flexible
- Interest in working with youth, adults and educators in deserving communities
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess valid driver’s license and have at least three years of driving experience
- Must procure and pass Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History, Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Record Screening
- On feet most days, sometimes for long hours (e.g. early morning departure to late night return)
- Able to carry, lift, and move a minimum of 40 pounds
- Exposure to Outward Bound curriculum and facilitation training
- Exposure to Outward Bound technical training
- Room and board, including food staples (we can and do accommodate for any dietary restrictions)
- $300/month stipend
- Professional development
- 10-20 formal opportunities per contract year that promote technical and non-technical skill mastery.