Student Services Coordinator
Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS)’s mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery.
POBS—serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and northern Delaware—is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools. A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS annually engages more than 5,000 youth and adult participants in experiential single- and multi-day programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs are designed to inspire participants in our communities to realize their true potential.
The Student Services Coordinator provides an essential role within the POBS Program Department to assist participants with course selection, convert inquiries to enrollments, and prepare all incoming students for their Outward Bound course experience. The Student Services Coordinator provides information to Course Directors for students arriving on upcoming courses. This position is responsible for tracking enrolled students, managing receipt of their application materials, and reviewing medical forms and questionnaires submitted by the applicant to assess readiness for multi-day expedition courses.
Provide Excellent Customer Service
• Answer incoming phone calls. Respond to voicemails and emails from prospective clients in a timely and professional manner.
• Assist parents, schools, and students with course selection, enroll applicants on programs, and execute highly accurate data entry in accordance with POBS enrollment procedures.
• Be knowledgeable about available program options and applicable requirements for various courses.
• Be accurate and accommodating, and offer excellent customer service at all times.
• Proactively direct customers to courses with low enrollment in order to meet POBS annual enrollment goals and objectives.
Serve Enrolled Students
• Manage and respond in a timely manner to the daily volume of incoming calls, emails, and faxes from enrolled students to meet the goals and enrollment process deadlines.
• Provide superior, friendly, responsive, and informative customer service to enrolled students and their parents. The Student Services Coordinator will help students understand mental and physical readiness required to successfully complete an Outward Bound course.
• Maintain and enter accurate information in Salesforce database.
Application Review and Screening
• Support APD of Admissions to complete required follow-up with students, parents, doctors, and/or therapists to assess motivation, and fitness level, as well as gathering relevant psychological and medical information.
• Monitor specifics of individual course enrollment; compile and assemble applicant information.
• Work with Program Department to address under-enrolled programs in a timely manner.
• Assemble and summarize accurate and complete information on each student for Course Directors and instructional staff prior to course planning.
• Brief Course Director and/or instructional staff during course planning.
• Participate in other duties as assigned.
• Able to problem-solve, prioritize, and multi-task successfully.
• Must be familiar with Outward Bound philosophy and activities and POBS course areas, particularly courses and activities associated with backpack and canoe expedition courses.
• Able to develop positive and productive relationships with participants and their families, POBS staff, OBUSA, OBSG, and other Outward Bound USA chartered schools.
• Well-organized with attention to detail.
• Very strong and effective communicator, both written and oral.
• Experience with Salesforce database preferred but not required.
• Experience using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Google Suite.
• Self-starter with strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Must work well in a team environment and excel under pressure.
• Bachelor degree and/or 2-3 years of experience in the outdoor education/experiential learning field or any similar combination of education and experience.
• Background in a medical and/or mental health-related field beneficial.
• Wilderness First Responder beneficial.
• This is a six month, thirty hours per week position. The working schedule is flexible. Twenty hours per week will be spent working inside the POBS office and ten hours per week are open to be scheduled in order to meet with customers and staff. The competitive hourly rate is commensurate with abilities and experience. $12-$15 p/h range.
• Projected start date is March 19, 2018. Projected end date is September 14, 2018.