The Discovery Center is a joint project of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS), Audubon PA (APA), and the Strawberry Manson Community, located at the East Park Reservoir. The Discovery Center, opening in late September of 2018, will include new headquarters and educational facilities for POBS and APA, and public access to the East Park Reservoir, an important stopover on the migratory flyway for dozens of rare bird species. The Discovery Center will be an asset to the entire region, but seeks to have a special impact on the Strawberry Mansion neighborhood in which it is located. To that end, the Discovery Center seeks to engage residents, increase opportunity, and help to grow a diverse, thriving community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Discovery Center is seeking an energetic, organized, and passionate individual with strong knowledge of the Strawberry Mansion community, as well as the broader region, to help inform the community about The Discovery Center and its programs, and to coordinate public access to and use of The Discovery Center, in alignment with the programs of POBS and APA.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator will help to inform community residents of opportunities available at The Discovery Center through a variety of means including outreach to community leaders and networks, attendance at community meetings, social media, and the like.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator will also work on-site at The Discovery Center during public hours to welcome and guide visitors to the various programming and educational opportunities available on the site and through the program partners
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator, highly organized, collaborative, and passionate about civic engagement and community-based programming. Ideal candidates will have experience in community based marketing and outreach, community based educational programming, possess a strong knowledge of Strawberry Mansion, and highly value the unique educational attributes that The Discovery Center offers to children and adults from the community and broader region.
Knowledge & Skills
The Community Engagement Coordinator should:
- Have a strong interest in and commitment to the mission of the Discovery Center and it partners.
- Have strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Be competent with social media and website management
- Be hard-working, self-directed, creative, and proactive with a positive workplace attitude
- Be comfortable working collaboratively to manage multiple projects and timelines
- Be a people-person who is comfortable working in underserved areas
- Be able to design flyers and promotional pieces for The Discovery Center programming
- Expect to work some evenings and weekends
- Be able to perform physical, outdoor work, including lifting tools and supplies, etc.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or other non-English languages is a plus
- Have at least one year of professional experience in community outreach, marketing, media and/or related fields
We expect this position to be approximately 35 hours per week, including at least one evening per week and one to two Saturdays per month. This is a temporary, contract position.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Rhyan Grech at [email protected].