Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS serves PA, NJ and northern DE, and is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages more than 5,000 participants (youth and adults) annually in experiential educational programs that inspire character development, leadership and community service. All programs, whether single or multi-day, are designed to help participants realize their true potential.
The Development Manager supports the Advancement Director and Executive Director in reaching annual fundraising goals and fulfilling the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School through appeals, individual donor engagement, and events. This position is part of a team responsible for maximizing cultivation and stewardship opportunities, as well as reaching fundraising goals and deepening donor relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- As a member of the Advancement team, assist with all fundraising activities, including individual, foundation, corporate, and special event giving strategies.
- Manage and maintain donor records in CRM system (Salesforce) to track gift activity, maintain current donor information, reconcile donations, and create thank you letters.
- Generate reports on progress toward fundraising goals for a range of audiences (co-workers, board of trustees, etc.).
- Prepare multiple fundraising campaigns, including writing and editing print and digital appeals and acknowledgements and managing mailing lists.
- Ongoing communications and meeting support for board and event committees.
- With colleagues, produce small and large-scale annual fundraising events, including but not limited to house parties, gala dinners, and peer-to-peer fundraising events.
- Help manage participant and volunteer outreach, logistics, and committee support for events.
- With Corporate Relations Manager, create communications and manage sponsorship benefit fulfillment for corporate sponsors.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports Executive Director and Advancement Director as needed.
- General Advancement Department administrative support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Passionate about POBS’ mission.
- Commitment to excellence in producing high quality work.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to self-direct and manage projects with specific goals, measurable outcomes, and deadlines, from start to finish.
- Superior technology skills. Confident in Microsoft Office and Google products, and database management.
- Compassionate and effective communicator.
- Able to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Sound decision-making judgment.
- Able to bring together and organize multiple stakeholders around a shared goal.
- Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through and commitment.
- Thoughtful and discrete in handling confidential and sensitive donor information.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Project management, appeal mailing, and fundraising event experience.
- Salesforce experience.
- Nonprofit experience.
Education and Work Experience
- 2-5 years’ experience in fundraising or related field.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $35,000-$40,000, depending on experience.
- This position is eligible for benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan, Paid Time Off and 401(k) retirement plan.
- Opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], and make sure to address any pertinent experience, including professional and personal experience, that is relevant to this position.
- Timeline: Deadline is June 30th. Screening will occur as applications are received. Interviews will be scheduled by the week of July 8th. Selection will be made by July 31st.