Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS)’ mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS—serving PA, NJ, and northern DE—is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages youth and adults in experiential single and multi-day programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service.
POBS is a partner in The Discovery Center, a public green space in East Fairmount Park operated with the National Audubon Society.
The Associate Director of Community Engagement deepens existing relationships and develops new partnerships and opportunities for a diverse group of neighborhood, city-wide, and regional partners including individuals, agencies, organizations, and schools.
With POBS colleagues, they develop and implement community-focused programming opportunities for Strawberry Mansion and Brewerytown community groups, including center-based programs and expeditions.
With Audubon colleagues, they enlist and support The Discovery Center’s Community Engagement Committee (CEC) members to promote access and engagement, encourage physical activity, provide watershed education, and foster appreciation for the environment for the public, especially our nearest neighbors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Use community engagement strategies to recruit and steward groups and individuals in POBS’ local network for program participation from POBS’ nearest neighbors in Strawberry Mansion and Brewerytown.
- Serve as point person for community-focused program delivery, including center-based programs, expeditions, and new public access events.
- Develop, promote, and manage monthly community engagement opportunities and events, including Discovery Days, Strawberry Mansion Days, and community service opportunities.
- Represent POBS in community-based meetings and outreach events including the East Fairmount Park Coalition, Strawberry Mansion Community Development Corporation, Strawberry Mansion Neighborhood Access Center, Brewerytown CDC, faith-based organizations, and recreation centers.
- Represent POBS on the CEC and coordinate with Audubon to provide guidance and oversight of the CEC goals and activities.
- With Audubon, launch and oversee youth development programs.
- Participate in program feedback, evaluation, and data tracking to ensure programs meet partner needs.
- Work up to two weekends per month and some weekday evenings based on community partners’ needs and schedules.
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with POBS staff to promote scholarship and program progression opportunities to community partners.
- Provide content for marketing and social media posts related to The Discovery Center and community partners.
- Coordinate with Audubon to staff The Discovery Center for public access and site rentals.
- Plan and instruct staff training sessions as needed (i.e. outreach strategies, watershed education).
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Eagerness to learn Outward Bound educational philosophy and curriculum in support of high quality program delivery.
- Experience in effective community engagement strategies; initiative to develop existing and new relationships and respond to organizational and partner needs.
- Demonstrated project management experience; initiate leads and follow-up with key stakeholders; manage multiple projects and deadlines; work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Suite, and social media and public communication platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with and engage staff, partners, public, and participants with compassion and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years of demonstrated community and education outreach, project management, planning and direct service.
- Experience with Outward Bound or outdoor experiential education and experience/interest in social media communications are plusses.
- Familiarity with and ability to travel in Strawberry Mansion/Brewerytown community and general Philadelphia community.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary: $40,000 – $60,000 depending on experience.
- This position is eligible for benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan, Paid Time Off and 401(k) retirement plan.
- Opportunities for professional development including NOLS Leave No Trace © Master Educator Course and Wilderness First Responder Certification.
- Participation in nationwide discounted Outward Bound expeditions.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], and make sure to address any pertinent experience, including professional and personal experience, that is relevant to this position.
- Timeline: Deadline is March 31, 2021. Screening will occur as applications are received.