Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS serves PA, NJ, and northern DE, and is one of 10 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages thousands of youth and adult participants annually in experiential educational programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs, whether single or multi-day, are designed to help participants realize their true potential.
The Staffing Manager is responsible for managing all seasonal program staff functions at POBS. They recruit, hire, onboard, and rehire seasonal program staff; track staff’s performance, assessment, development, advancement, and recognition; create and oversee staffing schedules for program staff roles; and maintain records for required employee certifications, clearances, and evaluations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit, interview, hire, and onboard seasonal program staff and apprentices and annually rehire seasonal program staff
- Create, maintain, and circulate job descriptions and postings
- Manage and streamline application process for seasonal program staff apprentice applicants
- Recruit a wide and diverse candidate pool through job postings, local school, partner, and community organization relationships, recruitment fairs, etc.
- Transfer information to HR consultant who creates letters of hire and work agreements, enters new hires in payroll tool, ensures paperwork, certifications, and clearances are on file and current
- Schedule seasonal program staff on appropriate programs to ensure highest program quality and to meet staff training and development goals
- Update and maintain staff’s schedules on “When I Work” scheduling software
- Coordinate and provide season-end and/or year-end performance evaluation (written and in person meetings) for all seasonal program staff
- With Director of Finance and Administration ensure timely and accurate payroll for seasonal program staff:
- Review all timesheet records for seasonal program staff paid on a per diem basis to meet bi-monthly payroll deadliness
- Track staff pay rate progression and provide updates for payroll records to Director of Finance and Administration
- Maintain regular schedule of email communications to share important info for seasonal program staff
- Update online resource for seasonal program staff, the Compass
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of and commitment to equitable recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and staffing practices
- Knowledge of or commitment to learn about Outward Bound history, mission, pedagogy, and philosophy
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to self-direct and manage projects with specific goals, measurable outcomes, and deadlines, from start to finish
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and “When I Work”
- Effective communicator in writing, in person, and over phone/video chat
- Commitment to sound, fair, and compassionate decision-making and judgment
- Thoughtful and discrete in handling confidential and sensitive information
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- 1-2 years of experience staffing, recruiting, and/or talent management
- 2-3 years of experience in the outdoor education or experiential learning field
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Starting salary $40K – $50K, bonus eligible
- Current benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 80% employer contribution, and short-term disability and life insurance at no cost to employee
- Paid time off for sick and vacation days, 8 floating holidays, one week paid (office closed) at year end
- 403b retirement plan with 3% match
- Opportunities for professional development
Please email cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three references to [email protected] by 4/30/23
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.