Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS serves PA, NJ, and northern DE, and is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages thousands of youth and adult participants annually in experiential educational programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs, whether single or multi-day, are designed to help participants realize their true potential.
The Staffing Manager is responsible for all seasonal and full-time program staff management functions at POBS. They recruit, hire, onboard, and re-hire seasonal program staff; track staff’s performance, assessment, development, advancement, and recognition, maintain staffing schedules for program staff roles; maintain records for required employee certifications, clearances, and evaluations; and – with program leadership – plan and administer staff trainings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit, interview, hire, and onboard seasonal program staff and apprentices and annually re-hire seasonal program staff
- Assist AD of Human Resources and Culture in creating, maintaining, and circulating job descriptions and postings
- Manage seasonal program staff and apprentice applicants
- Recruit a wide and diverse candidate pool through job postings, local schools, partners, and community organizations, recruitment fairs, etc.
- Schedule seasonal program staff on appropriate programs to ensure highest program quality and staff training and development goals; prepare and disseminate seasonal work agreements
- Work with HR to ensure required paperwork, certifications, and clearances are on file and current
- Represent POBS at OBUSA National Staffing Team monthly meetings
- Ensure that field staff receive regular performance feedback
- Manage POBS Apprenticeship program including oversight and mentorship of seasonal apprentices
- Maintain regular schedule of seasonal program staff-specific communications
- Participate as course director, program manager, trainer, and/or other program support positions
- Work with program leadership to provide appropriate trainings and schedules for program staff; disseminate training schedule; track attendance and completion of required trainings
- Coordinate external trainings (American Canoe Association, American Mountain Guides Association, anti-oppression and equity trainings)
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of and commitment to equitable recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and staffing practices
- Knowledge of or interest in learning Outward Bound history, mission, pedagogy, and philosophy
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to self-direct and manage projects with specific goals, measurable outcomes, and deadlines, from start to finish
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Dropbox
- Effective communicator in writing, in person, and over phone/video chat
- Commitment to sound, fair, and compassionate decision-making and judgment
- Thoughtful and discrete in handling confidential and sensitive information
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- 1-2 years of experience staffing, recruiting, and/or talent management
- 2-3 years of experience in the outdoor education or experiential learning field
- Must possess or be willing to obtain Wilderness First Responder certification
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range for this position $40,000–$50,000
- This position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, paid time off and 401(k) retirement plan
- Opportunities for professional development
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by 12/14/21. Thank you!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.