Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. Serving PA, NJ, and northern DE, POBS is one of 10 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages thousands of youth and adult participants annually in experiential educational programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs, whether single or multi-day, are designed to help participants realize their true potential.
The Associate Director of School District Partnerships will lead a new “Enhanced Middle School Experience” project to engage students and educators at K-8 and Middle Schools in the School District of Philadelphia’s Learning Network 11 in a continuum of POBS programs. The project is funded through 2025 with the possibility of an extension. This position reports to the Director of Education and Partnership and is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating all project components to ensure compliance with grant requirements, support internal project goals, provide direction for project growth, and guide a team of SDP educators in developing a Community of Practice to improve school-wide culture and long-term outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Director of Education and Partnership (DEP) to implement and ensure completion of project deliverables for youth and staff programs with all project partners and help develop a long-range vision for the project, including additional funding sources.
- Facilitate programs; organize and lead events related to the project including school briefings, promotion and orientation to the project, and feedback sessions.
- Coordinate communication and planning with project partners, including POBS and Learning Network 11 (LN11) staff, School District of Philadelphia’s (SDP) central office and Outward Bound USA’s Learning Lab (OBLL) staff.
- Develop a Community of Practice (CoP) team consisting of educators and leaders in LN11 and POBS staff to serve as a partner in program design, promote interscholastic connections and supports, and help guide prioritization and continuous improvement.
- Coordinate with the SDP Evaluation Department to collect monthly student survey data on school climate for participating LN11 schools and create reports on student perceptions of belonging for the grantor and stakeholders.
- Ensure the collection of survey data measuring character development and the OBLL’s Domains of Thriving (DoT) outcomes.
- Collaborate with the OBLL staff to develop a staff outcomes survey and assess student DoT outcomes data; support the process for reporting data to grantor and stakeholders.
- Serve as a lead member of the POBS OBLL team; support all POBS lab projects as needed and help deliver staff training.
- Oversee scheduling for all required programs and projects, including but not limited to, student and staff program days, CoP meetings, school briefings and expeditions.
- Provide project updates and information for organization leadership; contribute to the grant reporting process.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the POBS strategic planning process and report the progress of the project
- Uphold POBS’s mission, vision and values.
- With colleagues, support other POBS organizational activities and events such as fundraisers, promotional events, and Discovery Days.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Demonstrated success in project management; organizing and completing tasks.
- Familiarity with the School District of Philadelphia; ability to navigate and work within a complex organizational system(s).
- Demonstrated experience in youth development and program design/delivery.
- Demonstrated skill in partnership development, communications, and reporting systems.
- Demonstrated skill in utilizing data for program design, goal setting and program
- Solve problems creatively and think conceptually.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a sense of humor and ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Experience with Outward Bound programming a plus.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in youth development, direct program facilitation/delivery and management; including responsibility for program design and evaluation.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in project management.
- Experience with public school programming and program facilitation.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary $50,000.00; opportunity for advancement through duration of the project.
- This position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision plan, paid time off and 401(k) retirement plan.
- Send a cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience, your resume, and the names of three reference to [email protected].
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
POBS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid program or other administered programs.