Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS operates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and northern Delaware, and is one of eleven regional Outward Bound schools in the USA.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages thousands of youth and adult participants in experiential programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs, whether single-day or multi-day, are designed to support participants in realizing their true potential.
The Expedition Faculty Instructor is a senior field staff position that supports the program team through leadership in instruction, organization, and implementation of high-quality programs to all participants. Specific program related roles may include (but are not limited to) expedition instructor, Insight instructor, activity site manager, course director, staff trainer, and logistical support. Understanding of and commitment to Outward Bound philosophy, curriculum, and mission are keys to success for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model a strong and positive leadership role in support of the highest level of program quality for POBS
- Serve as a senior instructional staff member in all course areas and program types including instructing, course directing, site managing, staff development and training
- Work with POBS’ administration and program teams to ensure high quality staff development and training, logistics support, admissions and medical screening, program orientation, student recruitment, and other areas as necessary
- Provide follow-up with partner schools and organizations as may be necessary to ensure high quality programs
- Work closely with senior program staff in all phases of staff and course evaluation, feedback, and development plans
- Assist in coordinating ropes, rocks, group transports, on-site activities, and expedition re-supplies
- Assist in coordinating service projects, including initiating, building, and maintaining relationships with partner organizations
- Assure that all paperwork including payroll time sheets and other related requirements are complete and on-time
- Assist Admissions and Medical Screener in course advising
- Be on-call for emergencies as necessary including managing issues related to the field, students, parents, and partners
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Must be willing to pivot to virtual platform if necessary. Must be willing to design and deliver virtual team-building programs and professional developments and attend virtual meetings. Flexibility and willingness to work in-person or at home is key as we continue to navigate the pandemic.
- Help build and maintain a positive POBS community
- Plan and instruct staff training sessions as needed
- Participate in other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work in a team environment and support POBS’ philosophy and mission
- Must be committed to and excited about mentoring and developing staff
- Strong and effective written and verbal communicator; committed to creating and modeling healthy and effective feedback
- Well-organized with attention to detail
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Suite
- Self-starter, strong initiative, and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must have or be willing to obtain Wilderness First Responder Certification
- 1-3 years of field experience in the outdoor education/experiential learning field
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess a current and valid driver’s license
- Must procure and pass an FBI Criminal Records Check
- Must obtain Criminal and Child Abuse clearances for Pennsylvania
- Must pass a Motor Vehicle Record Screen (Outward Bound will process)
- Ability to carry, lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds
- Irregular work hours as necessary
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Nine-month commitment, target start and end dates: 3/7/22–12/7/22
- Salary: $29,000 for nine months
- This position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, paid time off, and 401(k) retirement plan
- Participation in Outward Bound staff expeditions nationwide
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by 1/3/22. Thank you!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.