Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS)’s mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS – serving PA, NJ and northern DE – is one of 10 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust, non-profit educational organization, POBS annually engages more than 7,000 youth and adult participants in single and multi-day experiential education programs that inspire character development, leadership and community service. All programs are designed to inspire participants to realize their true potential.
The Center-Based Faculty Instructor (CBFI) is a lead facilitator for POBS’ day-long team-building programs. CBFIs will instruct in a variety of sites including POBS’ Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course, The Discovery Center, or oﬀsite at local schools and organizations. CBFIs will coach and support new staﬀ through mentorship and on-the-job training. CBFIs may take on additional roles to reﬂect program needs and further develop skills, including (but not limited to) program managing, training and logistical support.
Understanding of and commitment to Outward Bound philosophy, curriculum, and mission are keys to success for this position.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model a strong and positive leadership role in support of the highest level of program quality for POBS
- Help build and maintain a positive POBS community
- Serve as a consistent lead facilitator for day-long team-building programs that take place Monday-Saturday; serve youth, adults and community members at the Discovery Center, on the adults and community members at the Discovery Center, on the rock wall and/or at the Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course
- Work with the POBS administration and program team to ensure high quality staﬀ development and training, logistics support, day program admissions support, and program facilitation
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in delivering facilitation and technical skills training
- Responsible for delivering a minimum of two, 75-minute Professional Development Sessions for day program staﬀ per season and documenting content and attendees in the proper database
- Attend annual facilitation/technical trainings, outdoor rocks trainings, and rock wall trainings
- Ability to work Saturdays and the occasional evening or overnight program
- Provide school brieﬁngs with partner schools and organizations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Current Outward Bound Lead Facilitator or 1-2 years program facilitation experience required
- Able to comfortably work at heights of 30-40 feet
- Demonstrate a drive to work with participants of all ages
- Strong organizational skills with supporting and/or coordinating large programs of 50-120
- Ability to work in a team environment and support POBS philosophy and mission
- Must be committed to mentoring and staﬀ development
- Strong and eﬀective written and verbal communicator; committed to modeling healthy and eﬀective feedback
- Experience using Google Suite including Docs, Sheets, and Forms
- Self starter, strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess a current and valid driver’s license
- Must procure and pass an FBI Criminal Records Check, Criminal and Child Abuse Clearances for Pennsylvania
- Must pass a Motor Vehicles Record Screen ( POBS will provide screening )
- Ability to carry, lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Nine-month commitment, target start and end dates: 3/7/2023 – 12/7/2023
- Salary of $30,000 for nine months
- This position is eligible for beneﬁts including medical, dental, and vision plans, paid time oﬀ and 403B retirement plan
- Participation in Outward Bound expeditions nationwide
Apply online by January 20, 2023.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.