Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS operates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and northern Delaware, and is one of eleven regional Outward Bound schools in the USA.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages thousands of youth and adult participants in experiential programs that inspire character development, leadership, and community service. All programs, whether single-day or multi-day, are designed to support participants in realizing their true potential.
The Center-Based Faculty instructor (CBFI) is a lead facilitator for POBS’ day-long team-building programs. CBFIs will instruct in a variety of sites including POBS’ Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course, The Discovery Center, or offsite at local schools and organizations. CBFIs will coach and support new staff through mentorship and on-the-job training. CBFIs may take on additional roles to reflect program needs and further develop skills, including (but not limited to) expedition instructor, program manager, activity site manager, trainer, and logistical support.
Understanding of and commitment to Outward Bound philosophy, curriculum, and mission are keys to success for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model a strong and positive leadership role in support of the highest level of program quality for POBS
- Help build and maintain a positive POBS community
- Serve as a consistent lead facilitator (generally Monday through Friday with occasional weekend programs) for day-long team-building programs; serve youth, adults and community members at the Discovery Center, on the rock wall and/or at the Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course
- Work with the POBS administration and program team to ensure high quality staff development and training, logistics support, day program admissions support, and program facilitation
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Must be willing to pivot to virtual platform if necessary. Must be willing to design and deliver virtual team-building programs and professional developments and attend virtual meetings. Flexibility and willingness to work in-person or at home is key as we continue to navigate the pandemic.
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in delivering facilitation and technical skills training or refreshers
- Responsible for delivering a minimum of two, 60–75-minute Professional
- Development sessions for day program staff per season and documenting content and attendees in the proper database
- Attend annual facilitation/technical trainings, outdoor rocks trainings, and rock wall trainings
- Ability to work some weekends, evenings, and overnights
- Provide school briefings with partner schools and organizations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & REQUIREMENTS
- Current Outward Bound Lead Facilitator or 1–2 years of external facilitation experience required
- Able to comfortably work at heights of 30- 40 feet
- Demonstrates a drive to work with participants of all ages
- Strong organizational skills with supporting and/or coordinating large programs of 50-120
- Ability to work in a team environment and support POBS’ philosophy and mission
- Must be committed to and enthusiastic about mentoring and developing staff
- Strong and effective written and verbal communicator; committed to creating and modeling healthy and effective feedback
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Google Suite
- Self-starter, strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess a current and valid driver’s license
- Must procure and pass an FBI Criminal Records Check
- Must obtain Criminal and Child Abuse clearances for Pennsylvania
- Must pass a Motor Vehicle Record Screen (Outward Bound will process)
- Ability to carry, lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds
- Irregular work hours as necessary
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Nine-month commitment, target start and end dates: 3/7/22–12/7/22
- Salary: $29,000 for nine months
- This position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, paid time off, and 401(k) retirement plan
- Participation in Outward Bound staff expeditions nationwide
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by 1/3/22. Thank you!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.