The Discovery Center is a joint project of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS), Audubon PA (APA), and the Strawberry Mansion Community, located in East Fairmount Park. The Discovery Center, which opened in September 2018, includes new headquarters and educational facilities for the Philadelphia Outward Bound School and Audubon PA. It also serves as a new public space and educational resource with public access to the Strawberry Mansion Reservoir, an important stopover on the Atlantic migratory flyway for dozens of rare bird species. The Discovery Center is an asset to the entire region, and seeks to have a special impact on the Strawberry Mansion neighborhood where it is located. To that end, the Discovery Center seeks to engage residents in public programming offered on-site and to contribute to a diverse, thriving community.
The Discovery Center is seeking an energetic, organized, and passionate individual with strong knowledge of the Strawberry Mansion community, as well as the broader region, to help welcome public to the site. They will help provide the community with information about the Discovery Center and its programs, and will play a key role in preparing and maintaining the site for public and private events. Responsibilities include janitorial and landscaping work, front desk assignments, staffing during public programs, and prep and clean up for public and private events.
- Work during peak public hours, including weekends, to ensure visitors to the center are welcomed to a safe and clean environment
- Continually monitor the grounds, provide public interpretation, insure public understanding of the Center’s rules, and identify any safety concerns
- Provide basic on-grounds landscaping, working with the Facilities Manager, other staff, and volunteers to improve and repair trail features, including pulling invasive plant species and planting native plants
- Provide janitorial support to ensure the site is clean and safe
- Safely operate equipment, including but not limited to golf cart, industrial floor cleaner, vacuum, and power tools
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings and training
- Have a strong interest in and commitment to the mission of the Discovery Center and its partners
- Have strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Be able to work on their feet outdoors in all weather
- Be hard-working, self-directed, creative, and proactive with a positive workplace attitude
- Be a people-person who is comfortable working with a wide range of audiences
- Be able to work some evenings and most weekends
- Be able to perform physical, outdoor work, including lifting tools and supplies, etc.
The person hired for this part-time, temporary position will work 20 hours per week for six-nine months, and will be on the payroll of the City of Philadelphia as an “RSI” in the Department of Parks and Recreation. $13.25 hourly rate. Must be a City of Philadelphia resident and comply with other City HR requirements (nepotism compliance, medical evaluation, criminal record check, PA child abuse clearance, and FBI clearance).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed as they are recieved.