The Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) and Audubon Mid-tlantic (AMA) are partners in The Discovery Center, a public green space in East Fairmount Park that is dedicated to supporting the
missions of the partners, presenting vibrant environmental education programs, and serving as a resource for residents, especially those in the nearby Strawberry Mansion neighborhood. The Discovery Center is open to the public 6 days a week and open to staff 7 days a week.
The Building and Groundskeeper ensures the buildings and grounds of The Discovery Center are safe, clean, welcoming, functional for staff and visitors and meet all applicable building and safety code requirements. The Supervisor will manage a two-person work team.
Areas of oversight include: interfacing with contractors, training new employees on operational systems and daily task requirements, and working with staff and community partners of The Discovery Center, POBS, and AMA. This is a full time, 40 hr/week position that reports to the Center Director. The position works entirely on-site and will be required to work at least one weekend day each week. Daily hours are flexible, but all work is expected to take place within the hours of 8am to 8pm, unless otherwise arranged with the Center Director. Occasional availability is needed in the case of emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure The Discovery Center (building and grounds, including the adjacent parking area) are litter-free, clean, welcoming and safe for all staff and visitors.
- Dispose all trash and recycling daily.
- Remove snow and ice on public walkways as needed.
- Maintain the gardens, weeding and removing invasive species regularly and planting new native plants and trees as needed.
- Clean the building according to a daily and weekly schedule and deep clean a few times each year.
- Coordinate site safety programs with the Center Director and The Discovery Center Safety Committee.
- Plan, budget, and execute short and long term general repairs, maintenance, and groundskeeping, in conjunction with the Center Director, AMA, and POBS.
- Implement, train, and document operational procedures and policies for staff.
- Work with the Center Director and Center Staff to set up, cleanup, and prepare for all onsite events, including private rentals and public-facing programs.
- Lead and coordinate onsite grounds volunteer work with AMA and POBS staff.
- Manage and supervise seasonal facilities personnel, including PowerCorps Fellows.
- Work with the Center Director to hire appropriate contractors for major repairs and maintenance to the building and its systems.
- Oversee all building functions, including HVAC and security systems.
- Ensure all maintenance issues are handled in a timely, cost effective manner
- Maintain and use power equipment needed for the building and grounds, including but not limited to: power tools, golf cart, riding mower, chainsaw, weedwacker, and snow blower
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Order and inventory janitorial and maintenance supplies
- Provide on-call assistance as needed
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Able to work nights and weekends as necessary
- Working knowledge of facilities, property management, and/or construction and building systems
- Ability to think creatively and make smart and cost effective recommendations
- Ability to respond effectively to building problems and determine appropriate solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of personnel & public
- Possess a positive attitude. Integrity and Compassion are a must
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as a team member and give positive and constructive feedback.
- Able to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Very strong and effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Familiarity with Microsoft and Google Suite.
- Flexible, adaptable and open to change.
- Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through and commitment.
- Commitment to creating an environment that is diverse, inclusive, accessible, and equitable.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- At least 2 years of experience in building maintenance
- At least 1 year of experience in horticultural, groundskeeping, or landscaping work
- Budget management experience preferred.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Must possess a current and valid PA driver’s license.
- Must procure and pass all required background clearance checks, including but not limited to: FBI, PA Child Abuse, PA Criminal Check, Drug Testing, MVR Driving Record Check
- Ability to carry, lift and move a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- Personal or professional familiarity with The Strawberry Mansion and North Philly neighborhood is preferred
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- This position is eligible for benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Plan, Paid Time Off and 401(k) retirement plan.
- Opportunities for professional development.
- This is a full-time non- exempt position that will typically require one weekend day and some nights of work each week. Schedule will fluctuate.
- To apply: please email your resume and three references to Center Director, Robin Stamey, at [email protected] or drop off a copy at The Discovery Center at 3401 Reservoir Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19121 by March 15, 2022. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.