Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, the mission of the Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS) is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS serves PA, NJ and northern DE, and is one of 11 regional Outward Bound USA schools. POBS is a partner organization for The Discovery Center, a new public green space in East Fairmount Park.
A robust non-profit educational organization, POBS engages more than 8,000 participants (youth and adults) annually in experiential education programs that inspire character development, leadership and community service. All programs, whether single or multi-day, are designed to help participants realize their true potential.
The Director of Marketing Communications is responsible for creating a comprehensive communications plan and disseminating information about POBS to internal and external audiences. They lead efforts to create compelling stories in print and electronic media, relying on design aesthetic and following OB brand guidelines. Success is defined by providing great stewardship for those who already know POBS, and attracting and engaging new audiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set and meet ambitious goals, including progress toward long-term Strategic Plan benchmarks, to engage new and existing audiences.
- Produce written and electronic promotional documents for programs, events, and fundraising appeals using a variety of tools and tactics to reach multiple target audiences; manage part-time staff and design consultants when needed.
- Write, edit, and produce POBS newsletter and targeted email campaigns; use analytics to understand and respond to trends and reach open and click through targets.
- Achieve local and national coverage for POBS activities, including press and media for events; coordinate PR consultants when applicable.
- Manage freelance photographers and videographers to ensure digital assets remain current.
- Support the collection of testimonials and student stories.
- With Social Media Coordinator, ensure creation and distribution of relevant, exciting content for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linked-In and other channels; use promotions effectively.
- Work with Audubon colleagues to share communications responsibilities for The Discovery Center, and help ensure all collaborators follow TDC brand guidelines.
- Maintain POBS website on a regular basis using WordPress to ensure exciting, current information is available.
- Create content for POBS’s Peer-to-Peer fundraising platform and websites.
- Use Google Analytics or other tools to track visits and understand and respond to trends.
National Marketing Interface
- Serve as POBS’s primary liaison with the national marketing organization, the Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG), for Open Enrollment (OE) courses.
- Work in collaboration with program staff to provide text and images for POBS inventory on the OBSG website; support annual course upload process and national website updates.
- Execute national marketing initiatives and campaigns at the local level.
- Network with peers at other OB schools to learn and share best practices.
- Follow Outward Bound USA brand guidelines.
- Reporting to Executive Director, play key role on staff leadership team to inform strategic direction at POBS.
- Supervise Social Media Coordinator.
- Manage audience segments to target appropriate messages.
- Provide reports for Leadership staff and Board.
- Craft and distribute internal messaging for staff.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIES
- Prepare and distribute communications for annual events, including Building Adventure and Trailblazer Gala.
- With Development staff, help promote small events, such as house parties, alumni gatherings, and business breakfasts.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences (donors, alumni, students, parents, partner organizations, etc.).
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and self-starter work ethic.
- Design skills and aesthetic.
- Email and Social Media Tools (Mail Chimp, GMass, Canva, Co-Schedule, etc.).
- Able to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Skill with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Adobe, Airtable, and similar software.
- Experience managing or supporting direct mail campaigns.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, superbadge or credential helpful.
- Commitment to excellent student engagement and customer service.
- Passion for Outward Bound’s mission.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years in a professional marketing, communications, development, or related position required.
- Degree in related field preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary: $60,000 - $90,000 depending on experience.
- This position is eligible for benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan, Paid Time Off and 401(k) retirement plan with employer match.
- Opportunities for professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send a cover letter detailing your interest and experience, and your resume to: [email protected].
- Timeline: Deadline is June 30, 2021. Screening will occur as applications are received.