Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the belief that people are capable of far more than they know. Founded in 1992, Philadelphia Outward Bound School (POBS)’s mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. POBS – serving PA, NJ and northern DE – is one of 10 regional Outward Bound USA schools.
A robust, non-profit educational organization, POBS annually engages more than 7,000 youth and adult participants in single and multi-day experiential education programs that inspire character development, leadership and community service. All programs are designed to inspire participants to realize their true potential.
The Hybrid Faculty Instructor plays an important role as a day program facilitator for POBS’ day-long team-building programs. Day programs take place at a variety of sites including POBS’ Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course, The Discovery Center, or offsite at local schools and organizations. As a facilitator you will coach and support new staff through mentorship and on-the-job training. The role of the Hybrid Faculty Instructor also includes instructing 5-14 day multi-day backpacking, canoeing and multi-element expeditions as well as expedition program logistical support.
Understanding of and commitment to Outward Bound philosophy, curriculum, and mission are keys to success for this position.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must possess a current and valid driver’s license
- Must procure and pass an FBI Criminal Records Check, Criminal and Child Abuse Clearances for Pennsylvania
- Must pass a Motor Vehicles Record Screen ( POBS will provide screening )
- Model a strong and positive leadership role in support of the highest level of program quality for POBS
- Help build and maintain a positive POBS community
- Serve as a consistent lead facilitator for day-long team-building programs that take place Monday-Saturday; serve youth, adults and community members at the Discovery Center, on the adults and community members at the Discovery Center, on the rock wall and/or at the Wissahickon Valley Challenge Course.
- Serve as an Assistant or Lead Instructor on 5-14 day multi-day
- Work with the POBS administration and program team to ensure high quality staff development and training, logistics support, day program and expedition admissions
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in expedition logistical support including, but not limited to vehicle shuttles, resupply, evacuations and rocks
- Responsible for delivering two Professional Development Sessions per season for day program or expedition staff and documenting content and attendees in the proper database
- Attend annual facilitation/technical training as well as return staff
- Ability to work day programs on Saturdays
- Plan and deliver school briefings with partner schools and organizations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Current Outward Bound Assistant Facilitator with at least 60 hours or 12 days of facilitation or equivalent
- Current Outward Bound Assistant Instructor that has completed at least 4 expeditions or equivalent. Lead Instructor experience
- Able to comfortably work at heights of 30-40 feet
- Able to comfortably work 10-14 day expeditions during the
- Demonstrate a drive to work with participants of all ages
- Ability to work in a team environment and support POBS philosophy and mission
- Must be committed to mentoring and staff development
- Strong and effective written and verbal communicator; committed to modeling healthy and effective feedback
- Experience using Google Suite including Docs, Sheets, and Forms
- Self starter, strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Nine-month commitment, target start and end dates: 3/7/2023 – 12/7/2023
- Salary of $30,000 for nine months
- This position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, paid time off and 403B retirement plan
- Participation in Outward Bound expeditions nationwide
Apply online by January 31, 2023.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Philadelphia Outward Bound School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.